Autism Awareness Month - April 20
Throughout April we will be sharing a different story each day to help raise Autism Awareness and highlight how peoples' lives have been touched by Autism and Autism Queensland in different ways.
What I love about my brother who has ASD:
* he’s very intelligent
e.g he concerntrates really hard
* he always wants to color in and is really good at it.
* I’m very proud to see how far Jay has come since he first came to us.
* he always wants to be around me and play next to me.
* he loves playing with water, it keeps him calm.
* he learns very quickly.
* he wants to get things right.
* he can play on his own for hours.
*he is very neat and ordered.
What behaviours I don’t like so much about my brother who has ASD:
*I dislike seeing him get angry and using inappropriate words whilst having a meltdown.
*sometimes he’ll repeat the word pardon over and over, but really he knew what you said the first time – that’s annoying.
*sometimes he doesn’t stop talking and talks really loud.
*playing games with him is really hard, he has a hard time taking turns and losing, so I try to teach him that some you win some you lose but he doesn’t always get it.
*he doesn’t like cuddles.
*he doesn’t understand when I am joking.
*It’s annoying but sometimes funny when he gets the wrong meaning of a word. I think that’s being literal.
*He gets up really early EVERY day. Even when he goes to bed late. He wants his weetbix at 5am, sometimes earlier.
*It’s really hard for him to feel what I do, like being sad for someone else.
* I worry about him when he is at school and if he is doing ok.
But I love him to bits.
Jays 12 year old sister( for the past 5 years)