School-based Group Placement (Prep - 18 Years)
Autism Queensland has an education and therapy centre in Brighton that operates as an accredited independent school providing a range of group placement options for children diagnosed with Autism, aged between Prep and 18 years of age.
The majority of school aged program options are two or three day placements. This means that students attend an AQ school part-time, two or three days per week, whilst continuing to attend their local school setting.
Placements are for a period of 12 months to two years.
Students are grouped according to age, ability and needs. All placements are delivered using a small group model, which means that groups have a maximum enrolment of 6 students. Each group is staffed by a group teacher and at least one teacher aide.
Children enrolled in two and three day placements are supported with the provision of:
- speech pathology
- occupational therapy
- social work
One day group placements are intensive and targeted programs which focus on specific areas of need including:
- social skills
- self management
- school coping issues
- organisational skills
- assignment and homework
One day placements are for a period of 12 months.
Social work and psychology support is available on a needs basis, to students enrolled in one day placements.
The part-time format is specifically designed to:
- enable students to maintain connection with their peer group and their local school curriculum
- enable students to practice and develop skills for generalisation
- continue social connection with their local community
- opportunity for observation, data collection and sharing of expertise among key stakeholders
Autism Queensland's schools deliver an Autism-specific curriculum linked to the Queensland Studies Authority (QSA) Key Learning Areas (KLAs) of:
- Health and Physical Education (HPE)
- Studies of Society & Environment (SOSE)
- Information Communication Technology (ICT)
All programs offered through the Autism Queensland School are subsidised, however there are fees for group placement.
Contact: Amra Bazdar,Principal Brighton School
Telephone: (07) 3631 6300